Friday, September 19, 2008

From Skykomish

Just to show we haven't been THAT lazy, here are some things we've done while hiking the Pacific Crest Trail:
read about 3 books and 12 scientific papers
applied for a scholarship
published a paper
learned several new species of plants and animals
won an award at an academic meeting
climbed several technical routes and a couple mts (including the highest peak in the continental USA)
taken Katy Griffin on her first backpacking trip
conducted tests on the durability on 8 models of trail running footwear (and gear)
solved all sorts of philosophical problems with pseudo-profound BS

The Surprisingly Good Gear We Used
Here's a list of what surprised us in how well it performed-

I expect any electrical equipment to give us problems in the outdoors. But our camera, a Casio Exilim, fit in my chest pocket, took great photos, and the battery lasted virtually forever.

My 15 dollar (yes, 15$) Frogg Toggs jacket was completely waterproof and breathable, and kept me drier than Michelle's expensive gore-tex jacket. I didn't believe it either from how it looks on the website.

Both our packs worked very well. Michelle used a ULA, and I used a Granite Gear vapour trail. I expected mine to get holes, but nope.

While at first uncomfortable, my Brooks Cascadia running shoes have been going strong for almost 800 miles now and look like they will take me to the end.

More later...

No comments: